Sunday 30 October 2011

Solar Cooking Potatoes

Today is another day and the weather is gorgeous, blue skies and plenty of sun!

At 8 this morning I realised that we get no sun in the backyard, not for a few hours ergo I couldn't set up my solar cooker, then inspiration hit as I was opening the lounge curtains at 8.35, there's plenty of sun streaming in the front conservatory so that's where I've set up the solar cooker - well at least for as long as the suns shining in there!

Potatoes all roughly the same size have been scrubbed, a stainless steel bowl the same shape but larger than yesterdays experiment has been utilised and an oven bag has been used to cover the bowl.


Around about 10 am I moved the solar cooker around to the back where the sun was starting to shine, it's around about 1 pm now and the potatoes look as though they might just cook through - will update again once they're done (or not lol).

4.15 and the sun has lost it's warmth. The water was hot but sadly not hot enough this time so I have to conclude that this experiment was a failure, but that's ok, I now know that this way isn't going to work so next time I will try a black dish inside a tin foil lined box perhaps? 

No comments:

Post a Comment