Saturday 29 October 2011

Solar Cooker Experimentation

My wonderful husband took our youngest daughter to a school gala where she was responsible for the face painting stall. Whilst there he took a mosey around (as you do) and found a wind shield shade for me for the princely sum of $1.


With a little bit of ingenuity, a few clothes pegs, this site here as inspiration, a box to steady the shade, a stainless steel bowl, a bag with twistie tie and water I had our first experiment (the bag isn't an oven bag but will be next time!).


It was 1.30 pm by the time I was able to get the cooker out into the sun. Condensation was visible fairly quickly on the plastic bag and when I checked the the bowl/water at 2.00 pm the bowl was hot and the water warmer than tepid but definitely not at boiling point.  

Weather wise we've had a slight breeze today and an expected high of 18 °C. Unfortunately at 2.30 pm the sky clouded over so I had to abandon my quest to boil water for a cup of tea. Tomorrow is a new day however and I am going to attempt to boil potatoes for a potato salad.

Notes:

  • Before I attempt to cook any form of meat I will be investing in a thermometer!
  • I would also like to get a roasting dish with a lid to use as an outside container and then put another container (pyrex?) within the roasting dish on a rack.
  • The wind shield shade needs to be braced by cardboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment